(Adopted July 2018) Download a PDF copy of the YCF Bylaws.
Article I: Club Name & Address
Name: York County Flyers, Inc. also known/dba as “YCF”
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 4556 Rock Hill, SC. 29732
Field Physical Address: 240 Langrum Branch Rd York, SC. 29745
Web Address: https://yorkcountyflyers.com/
Article II: Purpose
YCF was founded as a non-profit social group of model aviation enthusiasts organized for the recreational enjoyment of flying, building, promoting, supporting, and educating Safe Operation of Radio Controlled Model Aircraft. YCF is a chartered member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics in which they are the only organization in the United States recognized to represent model aviation to the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale, the world governing body for all air sports.
Article III: Membership
The Club is open to all persons interested in building and/or flying Radio Controlled Model Aircraft, also known as UAV, UAS, Multi-rotor, or Drones.
- All Club members MUST maintain membership in the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA), unless otherwise stated.
- AMA membership is the sole responsibility of each individual Club member.
- Members must comply with the official AMA Safety Code as published in the current AMA Membership Manual.
- Prospective members shall apply either via the YCF website with online payment or submit a hard copy Application, with payment of dues to a current Club Officer.
- A temporary membership card is issued, via email, upon verification of the applicants AMA membership number through the Academy of Model Aeronautics. An official club membership card will be issued within 30 days of verification.
- Each new member will be entitled to receive a Membership Card, and a copy of the Club Bylaws & Club Safety & Field Rules. Club Bylaws and Club Safety & Field Rules are available on the YCF website.
B. Membership Period
All YCF memberships are for a 1-year period, January 1st to December 31st and all renewing membership dues are payable by January 1st per the following membership levels.
C. Member groups and dues
See the YCF website, or Membership Rates for due amounts for each group.
- Regular Membership; (ages 19 – 64)
Senior Membership: (65 and over)
Junior Membership: (under 19 years of age by January 1st): Free
Family Membership: up to 2 adults per household and unlimited Children/Grandchildren that are under the age of 19 by Jan 1st: Each listed Child/Grandchild shall also maintain AMA Membership.
- New memberships dues will be prorated as follows:
January – March: Full listed dues, April - September listed dues are prorated for months left in member period. Example: member joins in July; dues would be one half published rate for that membership level.
October – December: Full listed dues to include the next member period year.
Lifetime Membership: Free – must have been a Regular, Senior, or Family member and be nominated and approved by the club. Lifetime has Flying Privileges and must maintain AMA membership.
Honorary Membership: Free - must have been a Regular, Senior, or Family member and be nominated and approved by the club. Honorary does not have Flying Privileges, AMA membership is not required.
Gratis Membership: To include Officers/Board of
Directors, Maintenance personnel, Safety Coordinators, and/or other members
that contribute significant time/resources to the running, maintenance, and/or
betterment of the club as deemed by the Officers/Board of Directors. Gratis members shall also be assessed any
published Maintenance Fee.
- Members have two 15 day grace periods to renew their dues at the full published rates.
- Membership Rates shall be reviewed annually or as needed by the Officers/Board of Directors, and adjusted if required. If any Membership Rates are to be adjusted all changes/adjustments shall be presented to the members a minimum 15 days prior to a member vote to approve changes/adjustments. A two - thirds (2/3) majority vote of the membership at any official membership meeting is required for any Membership Rates changes/adjustments, and if approved shall be effective immediately.
- Memberships are non-transferable.
- Membership Voting Rights
All Regular, Senior, Life Time, and Family (Bundle Admin only) members in good standing, have the right to cast one vote per membership. Junior, Honorary, Lapsed, or Suspended members do not have voting rights.
Any member in good standing may resign their membership by giving notice to any Club Officer, no refund for Membership dues will be given of any membership period left.
E. Lapsed & Suspension
- Any YCF Member more than 15 days in arrears on YCF dues, their membership will become Lapsed and shall be notified either in writing or via email.
- Any YCF Member more than 30 days in arrears on YCF dues, their membership and flying privileges will be Suspended and shall be notified either in writing or via email.
- Any YCF Member with Flying privileges in which their AMA Membership is no longer valid or ceases to have the qualification necessary for membership in the AMA, their membership in YCF shall therefore by Suspended,
- Any YCF Members status that is Suspended shall have all rights and privileges of membership revoked until reinstated.
F. Reinstatement (YCF Dues or AMA membership only)
- AMA Lapsed/Suspended Membership: subject to reinstatement and validation of AMA Membership.
- YCF Dues/Fee related: Any membership reinstatement within the same year dues/fees are in arrears the member is required to pay the full (non-discounted) amount in arrears for that membership level or any other qualifiable member level and/or any other fees in arrears. If a member has been suspended for more than one full membership period, then they can reapply for membership as a “New Member”.
Article IV: Nominations, Elections
Article V: Officers/Board of Directors
- Officer/Board of Directors nominations shall be taken during the November club meeting.
- Officer/Board of Directors elections will be held during the December meeting.
A. Elected Officers/Board of Directors positions and responsibilities.
President (also acts as Chairman of the Board), Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer shall also act as Board Members. The Officers/Board of Directors shall establish policies and operational procedures to ensure the safe and lawful operations of YCF.
B. Officers/Board of Directors requirements
Any member that wishes to be nominated to an Officer/Board of Directors shall have been a member in good standing for a minimum of two (2) years.
C. Term of Office.
Officers/Board of Directors are elected for a 1-year term that coincides with the Clubs fiscal year starting January 1st to December 31st. Officers/Board of Directors are limited in holding the same officer position to a maximum two terms, and at which time they must sit out a minimum of one year before they are eligible for re-election to the same officer position. An exception to the two-term maximum would be if an individual replaces an officer vacancy during the regular officer term.
D. Elected Officers/Board of Directors Duties
E. Simultaneous Office.
An Officer/Board of Director may hold two (2) offices simultaneously; however, the time frame one individual may hold Simultaneous Offices/Board of Directors positions shall be minimized until such time as one of those positions can be filled per section G below.
F. Appointed Positions
- President, shall act as Chairman of the Board and shall preside over meetings, and has the authority and responsibility as needed to direct the overall affairs of the Club and to sign commitments on behalf of the Club.
- Vice President shall fulfill the duties of the President when the President is absent or otherwise unable to conduct the duties of the Presidency.
- Secretary records minutes of any official club meeting, as well as preparing and sending official club communications, notices, emails, etc. The Secretary shall also maintain the club membership roster and memberships within the YCF membership site and all roster and communications as required with AMA, to include annual Club Charter and Insurance renewal. The Secretary shall review any new YCF members AMA number for validity and enter any hard copy applications into the YCF membership site, and print out membership card(s) as needed.
- Treasurer shall maintain and manage all club funds/money in a suitable financial institution, which may include any checking, saving, or credit/debit card account(s), and keep necessary/required financial records, as well as report out at each monthly meeting any expenses, obligations, and/or receipts received since the prior report out. Checks drawn on any Club Account must have the signature of the Treasurer or President.
- Safety Coordinator
- Committee Chairman (as needed)
- Web Master
- Newsletter Editor.
- Club Historian will be filled by volunteers as needed.
H. Conflicts of Interest
Officers/Board of Directors shall take no action that creates private/personal advantage from Club resources, violates Local, State or Federal requirements, or exceeds the spending authorities provided by the Club.
The Officers/Board of Directors shall have authority over legally binding agreements or contracts between the Club and any individual, organization or government entity.
J. Yearly Budget
A detailed budget for Club operating expenses must be submitted in February for membership review and shall be voted upon in the March membership meeting, a majority approval is required. Officers/Board of Directors may purchase any listed item within the yearly budget without any additional approval from the membership. If an expense is not listed within the approved budget, and is over the $150 spend limit, it shall be presented to the membership for majority approval prior to purchase.
No Officer/Board of Director for York County Flyers shall be personally liable for any liens, debts, or any other financial liability and/or other obligation(s) of the Club.
Article VI: Meetings
A. Regular Meetings
Scheduled to be held the first Saturday of each month, however they are subject to change as needed, and notification to members shall be provided via the YCF website Event listings and/or email. A meeting quorum is 12 voting members plus a minimum of 3 officers, if a quorum is not met, all agenda items shall be tabled for the next regularly scheduled meeting.
B. Each member in good standing, excluding Junior, and Honorary Memberships, are eligible to vote. Members must be present during the meeting to vote.
C. Special Meetings
Officers/Board of Directors may call a special meeting as needed; notification shall be via the YCF website Event listings and/or email. Other Appointed Coordinators or Committee leaders may also call a special meeting with their group, counterparts and/or with the Officers as needed.
D. Officer/Board of Directors Meeting
The President shall have an officer’s meeting a minimum of once per term, additional meetings may be scheduled by the President as needed.
Article VII: Record Keeping
All votes and items discussed at each meeting shall be duly noted and kept with the minutes of the meeting. Other records/documents such as; financial/accounting, contracts, agreements, Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws, Safety and Field rules, other documents that may be designated by the Officers/Board of Directors, shall be retained for a minimum of five (5) years. Hard copies shall be stored in a locked file cabinet at the YCF field building, electronic copies shall be maintained on the YCF website file structure or cloud storage location(s) as defined by the club or any other hard device (USB sticks, hard drives, etc.) and maintained by a club officer. Documents required to be filed with Local, State, or Federal agencies are to be kept permanently in either hard copy or electronic format. Club documents may be accessed by appointment by any Club member or any legally authorized entity. All records are passed on when new Officers/Board of Directors are elected.
Article VIII: Committees
May be appointed by the President on an As Needed basis, i.e. Standing Committees, Maintenance Committee, Membership Committee, etc.
Article IX: Miscellaneous Provisions
A. Robert’s Rules
The club will use Robert’s Rules as a general guide for conducting meetings.
B. YCF Logo
Any changes to the YCF Logo(s) shall be submitted to the Officers/Board of Directors for review and approval.
C. Dissolution of Club
The duration of the club shall be perpetual. The club may be dissolved with the approval of two – thirds (2/3) vote of the membership. In the event of dissolution of the Club, assets of the Club shall be liquidated to the extent possible, expenses and outstanding obligations paid, and any residue shall be donated to a charity.
D. Member spend/reimbursement
Up to $150.00 can be spent for the clubs operating expenses without a membership vote with prior approval from any Officer/Board of Director. All other items over $150.00 shall be submitted to the Officers/Board of Directors for review and be presented to the membership for majority approval, unless expenses have already been reviewed and approved within the Yearly Budget.
Article X: Amendment and/or changes of the Bylaws and/or Safety and Field Rules
The Bylaws, Safety and Field Rules shall be reviewed annually or as needed if any amendment or change is required pre or post the annual review. Any proposed additions, deletions, or changes shall be submitted to the Officers/Board of Directors for initial review.
B. Review & Approval
If no changes are needed, the Bylaws and/or Safety and Field Rules shall continue in effect. Once changes have been submitted to the Officers/Board of Directors for review, a draft document(s) shall be updated to reflect any updates/changes and then shall be submitted to the YCF membership via email for review at least 30 days prior to the next regular membership meeting for a vote.
A two - thirds (2/3) majority vote of the membership attending the announced meeting may approve any submitted changes and the approved document(s) shall be effective upon approval unless otherwise stated. Each member in good standing, excluding Junior, and Honorary Memberships, are eligible to vote. Members must be present during the meeting to vote.
Article XI: Grievance Procedure
A. This grievance procedure provides a mechanism to enforce existing Safety and Field Rules by providing a progressive disciplinary system when needed. Although most complaints can be resolved informally, if a complaint is serious or cannot be resolved informally, the matter should be referred to the Safety Coordinator and/or the Officers/Board of Directors via a completed Grievance form for review and judgment in carrying out any action as listed below. At least one witness is required to sign the Grievance Form for any Safety and Field Rules violation.
- Any Elected Officer/Board of Director vacancies that occur after elections/during the year, are to be filled by member nominations and a majority member vote at the next regular club meeting.
- Any Appointed Position vacancies shall be filled by appointment of the Officers/Board of Directors at the next regular club meeting.
B. Bylaws or Other Violations
This section provides for enforcement of the Bylaws and/or any other unacceptable behavior by an individual member or members. Any individual may be expelled from YCF by a two - thirds (2/3) majority vote of the membership at any official membership meeting, if in the officers’ determination, such individual(s) willfully commits an act of omission, theft, and/or a violation(s) of the terms of the YCF Bylaws (other than Membership dues Article III, section F), and/or which is detrimental to YCF, AMA, or to model aviation. The President shall notify the member(s) in question prior to the Expulsion vote, and after the Expulsion vote of the outcome, either in writing or via email.
The next progressive disciplinary action/step shall only be enforced if the next violation occurred within one (1) year of the prior disciplinary action/step.
Any member receiving a Grievance, who directs any retaliatory action against the person filing said grievance, will be subject to immediate expulsion from the Club. This is to include threats, intimidation, physical harm, intentional equipment damage, theft, or any other action deemed to be retaliatory by the Officers/Board of Directors.
Member reinstatement for any past expulsion for any Safety, Bylaws (other than Membership dues Article III, section F), or other violations, a two - thirds (2/3) majority vote of the membership at any official membership meeting is required for reinstatement to YCF.
- First Violation
The Safety Coordinator and/or the Officers/Board of Directors shall notify the accused of the submitted Violation as soon as possible. Viewpoints of both complainants and accused will be considered. A verbal reprimand will be given to the accused by the Safety Coordinator and/or the Officers/Board of Directors, and this will be recorded in the Club records.
- Second Violation
The Safety Coordinator and/or the Officers/Board of Directors after reviewing the submitted grievance shall notify the accused of the second (2nd) Violation as soon as possible, at which time the accused has the right to submit a written rebuttal within 10 days, as to be reviewed by the Safety Coordinator and/or the Officers/Board of Directors. If the Safety Coordinator and/or the Officers/Board of Directors, within 10 days of receipt of the rebuttal so decides, the flying privileges of the accused will be suspended for thirty (30) days from notification. Notification shall be issued either in writing or via email and the membership shall be notified of the individual’s suspension.
- Third Violation
The Safety Coordinator and/or the Officers/Board of Directors after reviewing the submitted grievance, shall notify the accused of the third (3rd) Violation as soon as possible either in writing or via email and shall also notify the membership via email that the club will vote on the expulsion of the accused at the next regular membership meeting. Said expulsion will last for a one (1) year minimum. A member may be only by expelled by a two - thirds (2/3) majority vote of the membership present at the meeting, voting will be by secret ballot. The expelled member may reapply for membership after the expiration of the expulsion time period.
YCF Grievance Form
Safety and Field Rules
(Adopted July, 2018) Download a PDF Copy of the Safety & Field Rules.
- Members must display their valid YCF membership card while participating in any YCF flying event, members are encouraged to display their YCF card at all times. Guests must be accompanied by a club member, and must display their AMA card while flying at the field.
- Any non - AMA member who wishes to try flying must be accompanied by a YCF club member while beyond the fence and all flying must be done with a Buddy box set up or direct hands on by the YCF member/trainer.
- Any club member has the authority to verify Club and/or AMA membership status of any known or unknown person(s) that are flying.
- No flying is allowed between the hours of 12:00 AM to 5:00 AM. Night flying should be limited and it is recommended to include more than 1 members.
- Sunday morning flying times will be available only to Electric powered aircraft up to 12:00 P.M, after which flying is open to all types of aircraft.
- Flying in NOT permitted over or behind the pit area or over the School Bus Yard.
- No taxiing of aircraft within the pit area/behind the flight line, unless within designated areas.
- Any high speed or low-level flybys, shall be done down the middle of the runway or further out away from other pilots or spectators.
- During any YCF event, all 3D flying activities shall be done out past the runway, e.g. West-Northwest / Northwest, unless the event is only for 3D or a specific time is allotted for 3D flying only.
- During any event or when other pilots are flying on the primary flight line, all fixed wing aircraft shall follow the current flight pattern, which may be dictated by the current wind direction.
- Fixed Wing or Helicopter/Multi-rotor aircraft shall maintain flight within their respective flight line during any YCF event or when any other pilot(s) are flying at either flight line.
- Any Helicopter or other Multi-rotor aircraft that is flying on the primary flight line, during any event or when other Fixed Wing aircraft is flying shall follow the current flight pattern.
- All model aircraft engines MUST have a muffler of a suitable design to minimize noise. Members shall follow the AMA guidelines for noise control.
- No turbine flying is allowed, and no metal props.
- The last flyer to leave the site is responsible for making sure the buildings are locked and securing the gate at the entrance of the field.
- Camping at the YCF field is only allowed just prior and/or during any scheduled YCF event, or with permission of the President. It is the responsibility of the camper to provide their own Electricity, Water, and Sewer, as the YCF site does not have these services for camping.
- ALL spectators (Non YCF or AMA members) must stay out of the member’s area (behind fence) unless accompanied by a YCF member during flight activities. However, spectators may visit the member’s areas during non-flight times, e.g., lunch, static displays, etc.
- Pets are allowed at the flying site. Your pet must be on a leash and good behavior must be maintained. Pets must be kept out of member area (behind fence) and you must clean up after your pet.
- The First Aid Kit is maintained in the Clubhouse and shall be brought out during events.
- Fire extinguishers are to be made readily available at various locations and checked periodically to ensure full charged and in working order, i.e. nozzle, trigger free of any obstructions.
- Club Safety Coordinator will conduct a review of the AMA Safety Code at a club meeting at least once a year and a brief review at the pilot’s briefing prior to the start of any club sanctioned event.
- Follow all of the Academy of Model Aeronautics National Model Aircraft Safety Code as posted at field.
- It is the responsibility of all members to ensure the Safety and Field rules are being followed at all times.
Frequency Control for 72 Mhz equipment
- All 72 Mhz. Radios must be 1991 GOLD STICKER, Narrow band.
- Place transmitter in transmitter rack when not in use.
- When frequency marker is in horizontal position, frequency is available.
- To fly use clothespin with your Club Card or AMA Card clipped to Frequency marker in the vertical position. When frequency marker is in vertical position, frequency is in use.
- Remove transmitter from transmitter rack. Do not turn your transmitter on unless your card is clipped to the frequency marker.
- When though flying, Turn transmitter off, Return to rack, Remove your clothespin with your Club Card or AMA Card and return frequency marker to horizontal position.
MAKE SURE RADIO IS OFF WHEN PLACING IN RACK!!